One of the most powerful tools successful people use on a regular basis is leverage. Leverage means utilizing the strengths of other things, processes, and people to do a lot more than you could do alone. Leverage helps you get the most out of yourself, because you free up your time to work on the activities that are most valuable to you.
The famous Greek mathematician, Archimedes, said:
“Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can move the world.”
If it’s time to move your world, here are five ways you can utilize the concept of leverage to improve your circumstances and get more of what you want out of life.
- Learn from others. Remember having to listen to stories your parents told because they were trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes they did? Successful people take advantage of such knowledge and wisdom wherever they can get it. There are millions of books written by and about people who learned hard lessons in life and they put that knowledge in writing to share it with you. Take courses, go to seminars, read magazines, do whatever you can to learn from others’ failures, and successes. Join the professional organization for your field and attend their conferences. I can’t even begin to tell you how much time, effort, energy and money I saved by joining the National Speakers’ Association, and there are many others who share the same sentiment.
- Outsource. Use the energy and knowledge of other people to make your life easier. This might mean hiring someone to clean your house, getting the dry cleaners to press some shirts, hiring a technical writer to prepare some necessary documentation you need, etc. Most of use could leverage others’ businesses and energy and enjoy a lot more time off, or more productive time. Your bottom 20 activities, those things you really don’t like to do or that just don’t contribute to your productivity should definitely be outsourced.
- Utilize investment funding. Your ability to borrow and tap into the financial resources of other people and institutions can enable you to accomplish many great things that would not be possible if you had to pay for them out of your own resources. Always be looking for opportunities to borrow and invest money and achieve returns well beyond the cost of that money. This requires planning and research, but the benefits are huge.
- Make use of untapped brilliance. One good idea is all you need to start a fortune. Listen to others’ ideas when you are at parties and listen for things that, combined with your talent and resources, are viable business ideas. In his seminars, Brian Tracy likes to point out that there are many examples throughout history where someone had an idea, expressed the concept of that idea at a social event, then a year later noticed that someone had produced the product or launched the business. If you have such an idea, act on it. If you hear of one, act on that as well. I’m not talking about stealing someone else’s business plan, here. I’m sure you’ve been out with friends before who thought of things that should be developed or you’ve heard comments like, “Someone should invent . . .”
- Work “the system.” The social networking system, that is. If we are six degrees of separation from anyone in the world, then we are just six degrees away from the perfect resource. Whatever it is you need to make your life more profitable and enjoyable, you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who can help you. Make the most of all social events by getting to know someone knew. It does you no good whatsoever to meet 30 new people whom you’ll never remember, nor will remember you. But make one or two good contacts, and your power of leverage will increase.
Leverage is power, strength, and intelligence. Begin today to utilize the leverage that’s available to you, and you’ll be amazed at the results in your career, and your life.
GET CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE NOW If you’d like to read all my latest success tips and how I’ve applied 20 years of solid business principles and the law of attraction to acquiring the life of my dreams, and am helping others do the same, you’ll want your own copy of Wake Up and Create the Life You Want: A Guide to Self-Empowerment. It comes with my free report on “The Science of Getting Rich.” Both are downloadable, so you get them immediately.
This post was written by Debra Moorhead, Motivation, Education, Inspiration on June 13, 2007